Due to Covid-19, 2021 MatCamp has been cancelled. In 2021, the MSE department will teach a unit of materials science content to Math Academy students.
We look forward to MatCamp returning in 2022.
Materials Camp for High School Students
MatCamp is a materials science-based summer day camp for high school students who will be entering their junior or senior year in fall. The camp is free; campers are responsible for their own lunches. As the camp is a day camp, there is no housing provided or available. Admission to this camp is by selection; students will be accepted based on their abilities, motivation, and interests. U.S. citizenship is not required for participation in this camp.
UW MatCamp Application Materials
Generally application materials are available by early February. More specifics will be posted here once available .
Please submit the recommendation form(s), your photo, and your grades in the same mailing. Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred); or you may submit materials to Sandra Maddox - MatCamp Administrator: Materials Science and Engineering, Box 352120, Seattle, WA 98195-2120. Materials to submit are:
- Completed and submitted online application
- Completed recommendation form - from one or two people
- A copy of your most recent report card or transcript
- A clear headshot
See the 2020 MatCamp Flyer for a good idea of what the camp holds in store. You can also check out other sections of this web site.
- Highlights from the previous year's camp, which include working with Materials Mentors who are practicing engineers from local companies
- A sample camp schedule
- Information for parents
- Directions and transportation to the University of Washington and to the Materials Science and Engineering department