Skip to main content

Current Students

Applied Master's Program

The MSE master's program is a research or thesis-oriented graduate degree program for students with an undergraduate degree in materials science and engineering or closely related field. Master's program graduates are prepared to conduct independent research and to pursue careers in academia, government, or industry.

Navigating the M.S. degree process

Your Advisers »
Throughout the program you will work closely with the MSE Graduate Program Adviser and your selected faculty adviser. Once you have selected a faculty adviser, you and your adviser must fill out an AMP Project Agreement Form and submit it to the Graduate Program Adviser.
Master's Courses and Schedule »
You must complete core courses, credit minimums, and research requirements to earn your degree.
Final Project and Internship/Industrial Option »
You will complete either a final project or internship which you will present to a Supervisory Committee during your final quarter.
Master's Program Tuition »
Links to UW tuition rates for Washington residents and non-residents.

Labs, shops and facilities

slide on microscope Student and faculty researchers have access to these state-of-the-art labs and shops across campus:

Other campus spaces

Roberts Hall, 4th Floor student space: The open spaces, kitchen, conference rooms and room 406 are all available for your usage. Access to the lobby and kitchen does not require any keys or permission.

However, to access the two suite doors, you will need the Roberts/Mueller exterior key. For those without keys, you may submit a key request form with your faculty mentor's approval before forwarding to the Labs and Facilities Manager, or to the Graduate Program Manager if you do not yet have a faculty mentor. You will be notified when the key is ready for pick up.


If you have questions about the M.S. program that are not answered here, please contact the MSE Graduate Program Manager. For information about admission criteria, application procedures, and tuition and funding, see Applied Master's Admission.