Skip to main content

Current Students

The #ProudToBeMSE Student Video Contest

Calling all current MSE students! The contest deadline has been extended to February 17, 2023, so there's still time to submit your video and win up to $500!

Contest Details

International Students

Students who need an F-1 student visa or have other types of temporary, non-immigrant visas are considered international students.

For help clarifying your status as an international student, complete the UW International Student Helper.

International Student Services

UW International Student Services (ISS) assists non-immigrant students with visa and travel information, travel outside the USA, working while in the U.S., visits from family members, and much more. All incoming international or foreign students must see ISS upon entry to the University of Washington.

U.S. government executive order on immigration

The University of Washington is closely monitoring the changing situation regarding the executive order and its impact on our community members.

As communicated by University of Washington President Ana Marie Cauce, the UW is proud to be home to students, faculty, staff and scholars from around the world. We stand with them and will provide them with support as needed.

Graduate Student RA and TA Appointments

If you have a Research Assistant (RA) or Teaching Assistant (TA) appointment, you must obtain either:

Students seeking a social security number must:

  1. Obtain a letter from the UW International Student Services (ISS)
  2. Complete form SS-5.
  3. Take these forms and the following documents to a Social Security Administration office. Find the nearest office.
    • Passport
    • Original Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) documents

Also, students should view the section on taxes for international students at UW Student Fiscal Services.

Orientation and Support through FIUTS

The UW Foundation for International Understanding through Students (FIUTS) is a volunteer campus organization that helps new international students transition to the UW community and learn about important campus resources, U.S. customs and lifestyles, visa and immigration essentials, the Seattle area and more. Participants explore Seattle and make friends with other UW students – both local and international. FIUTS provides orientation for new international students and arranges host families, travel during quarter breaks, and other social activities for international students and their families.

International student tuition and fees

Tuition for international students is the same as the non-resident rate.

International students who wish to study in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 student visa need to provide proof of adequate financial support for one year. If you are offered admission and you decide to enroll, you will be required to submit a bank statement or letter showing proof of finances to cover the first year of tuition, living expenses, and other campus fees. Detailed instructions will be sent with the offer of admission. If the offer of admission includes funding support from the MSE department, the requirement for proof of financial support can be waived.

See the UW Office of Admissions' Money Matters and Annual Student Budget for International Students for more information on international student fees.