Campbell Career Development Endowed Professor
Materials Science & Engineering
- (206) 616-1220
- MOL 122
- Faculty Website
- Luscombe Research Group
- Molecular Engineering and Materials Center (MRSEC)
- Center For Selective C–H Functionalization
- Ph.D., Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, 2005
- MA, Trinity College, University of Cambridge, 2003
- B.A., M.Sci., Trinity College, University of Cambridge, 2000
- Advisor: Jean M. J. Frechet, UC Berkeley, 2004-2006
Molecular self-assembly is a powerful tool for creating novel nanometer scale architectures. Nature uses self-assembly to organize simple components into well-defined, 3D, functional structures. In recent years, much progress has been made in creating nanometer scale patterns using the bottom-up approach inspired by nature. The goal of the research in the group is to utilize and expand the current knowledge of self-assembly processes in the development of functional molecules with novel electronic and photonic properties. Our research involves the design and synthesis of functional molecules, which range from well-defined macromolecules to polymers. We are also interested in the ability of the materials to self-assemble and to be used in a variety of applications including, organic thin film transistors, organic photovoltaic devices, and chemical and biological sensors. The work performed in the group is multidisciplinary, involving organic and polymer synthesis, materials science and engineering, physics, and electrical engineering.
Ionically and electrically conducting polymers
- O'Keefe, S.; Li, Y.; Luscombe, C. K. "Solution processed low-k dielectric core-shell nanoparticles for additive manufacturing of microwave devices" J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 2017, 134, 45335. Selected as cover article.
- Giridharagopal, R.; Flagg, L. Q.; Harrison, J. S.; Ziffer, M. E.; Onorato, J.; Luscombe, C. K.; Ginger, D. S. "Electrochemical strain microscopy probes morphology-induced variations in ion uptake and performance in organic electrochemical transistors" Nature Materials, 2017, 16, 737.
- Scott, C. N.; Bisen, M. D.; Stemer, D. M.; McKinnon, S.; Luscombe, C. K. "Direct Arylation Polycondensation of 2,5-Dithienylsilole with a Series of Difluorobenzodiimine-Based Electron Acceptors" Macromolecules, 2017, 50, 4623.
- Li, J.-H; Xi, Y.; Pozzo, L. D.; Xu, J.-T.; Luscombe, C. K. "Macroscopically Aligned Nanowire Arrays of pi-Conjugated Polymers via Shear-Enhanced Crystallization" J. Mater. Chem. C., 2017, 5, 5128.
- Li, J.-H.; Li, Y.; Xu, J.-T.; Luscombe, C. K. "Self-Assembled Amphiphilic Block Copolymers/CdTe Nanocrystals for Efficient Aqueous-Processed Hybrid Solar Cells" ACS Appl. Mater. Inter., 2017, 9, 17942.
- Li, Y.; Tatum, W. K.; Onorato, J. W.; Barajas, S. D.; Yang, Y. Y.; Luscombe, C. K. "An indacenodithiophene-based semiconducting polymer with high ductility for stretchable organic electronics" Polym. Chem., 2017, 8, 5185.
- Holliday, S.; Li, Y.; Luscombe, C. K. "Recent Advances in High Performance Donor-Acceptor Polymers for Organic Photovoltaics" Prog. Polym. Sci., 2017, 70, 34. Invited paper.
- Onorato, J.; Pakhnyuk, V.; Luscombe, C. K. "Structure and design of polymers for durable, stretchable organic electronics" Polymer Journal, 2017, 49, 41. Invited paper.
- Li, J.-H.; Li, P.; Xu, J.-T.; Luscombe, C. K.; Fan, Z. "Straightening single-walled carbon nanotubes by adsorbed rigid poly(3-hexylthiophene) chains via pi-pi interaction" J. Phys. Chem. C., 2016, 120, 27655.
- Suraru, S.-L.; Lee, J. A.; Luscombe, C. K. "C-H arylation in the synthesis of pi-conjugated polymer" ACS Macro Lett., 2016, 5, 724. Invited Viewpoint.
- Suraru, S.-L.; Lee, J. A.; Luscombe, C. K. "Preparation of an aurylated alkylthiophene monomer via C-H activation for use in Pd-PEPPSI-iPr catalyzed controlled chain growth polymerization" ACS Macro Lett., 2016, 5, 533.
- Martin, T. R.; Katahara, J. K.; Bucherl, C. N.; Krueger, B. W.; Hillhouse, H. W.; Luscombe, C. K. "Nanoparticle ligands and pyrolized graphitic carbon in CZTSSe photovoltaic devices" Chem. Mater., 2016, 28, 135.
- Zeigler, D. F.; Candelaria, S. L.; Mazzio, K. A.; Martin, T. R.; Uchaker, E.; Suraru, S.-L.; Kang, L. J.; Cao, G.; Luscombe, C. K. "N-type hyperbranched polymers for supercapacitor cathodes with variable porosity and excellent electrochemical stability" Macromolecules, 2015, 48, 5196.
- Mazzio, K. A.; Rice, A. H.; Durban, M. M.; Luscombe, C. K. "Effect of regioregularity on charge transport and structural and excitonic coherence in poly(3-hexylthiophene) nanowires" J. Phys. Chem. C, 2015, 119, 14911.
- Martin, T. R.; Mazzio, K. A.; Hillhouse, H. W.; Luscombe, C. K. "Sulfur copolymer for the direct synthesis of ligand-free CdS nanoparticles" Chem. Commun., 2015, 51, 11244.
- Li, Z.; Mazzio, K. A.; Okamoto, K.; Luscombe, C. K.; Schlaf, R. "Orbital alignment at the internal interface of arylthiol functionalized CdSe molecular hybrids" J. Appl. Phys., 2015, 117, 155501.
- Newbloom, G. M; Hoffmann, S. M.; West, A. F.; Gile, M. C.; Sista, P.; Cheung, H.-K. C.; Luscombe, C. K.; Pfaendtner, J.; Pozzo, L. D. "Solvatochromism and Conformational Changes in Fully Dissolved Poly(3-alkylthiophene)s" Langmuir, 2015, 31, 458.
- Mazzio, K.; Luscombe, C. K. "The Future of Organic Photovoltaics" Chem. Soc. Rev., 2015, 44, 78. Invited review.
- Zeigler, D. F.; Mazzio, K. A.; Luscombe, C. K. "Fully Conjugated Graft Copolymers Comprising a P-type Donor-Acceptor Backbone and Poly(3-hexylthiophene) Sidechains Synthesized Via a “Graft Through” Approach" Macromolecules, 2014, 47, 5019.
- Zhang, G.; Huber, R.; Ferreira, A.; Boyd, S. D.; Luscombe, C.K.; Tolbert, S.; Schwartz, B. "Crystallinity Effects in Sequentially-processed and Blend-cast Bulk-heterojunction Polymer/Fullerene Phovoltaics" J. Phys. Chem. C, 2014, 118, 18424.
Honors & awards
- Lectureship Award, Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry of Japan, 2017
- Vice President of IUPAC Polymer Division, 2016
- Finalist, Clean Energy Education & Empowerment (C3E) Award, 2015
- Featured in ChemComm's Emerging Investigators Issue, 2014
- Featured in J. Mater. Chem. C's Emerging Investigators Issue, 2014
- Faculty of the Year Award, 2013
- Associate Editor for J. Mater. Chem. A, 2013
- Editorial Advisory Board Member for Macromolecules and ACS Macro Letters, 2012
- Sigma Aldrich Lecturer, 2012
- College of Engineering Junior Innovator Award, 2010
- Sloan Research Fellowship, 2010
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2008
- NSF Career Award, 2008-2013
- Junior Research Fellow of Trinity College, University of Cambridge, UK, 2003-2007
- Lindemann Fellowship for post-doctoral research in the USA, 2003-2004
- Syngenta Scholarship for best organic chemistry PhD project, 2002
- Kavli Fellow, 2011
New Molecular Engr. Materials Center
The new Molecular Engineering Materials Center's goal is to empower the next generation of science and engineering...
Resing awarded undergrad fellowship
MSE senior Anton Resing has been awarded a Washington Research Foundation Fellowship. Under the guidance of...