Materials Science & Engineering
- (206) 543-2626
- ROB 311
- Faculty Website
Ting Cao’s research employs quantum physics, advanced materials modelling techniques, and high-performance computing to study materials science and condensed matter physics, with special focus on the electronic structures of materials, excited-state phenomena, and light-matter interactions. His current research interest lies in exploring the distinct physical properties of one- and two-dimensional material systems which are potentially useful for future applications. Ting Cao received a Ph.D. degree in physics from the University of California, Berkeley in 2018.
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of California at Berkeley, 2018
- B.S. in Physics, Peking University, 2012
- GLAM Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University
- D. J. Rizzo*, G. Veber*, T. Cao*, C. Bronner, T. Chen, F. Zhao, H. Rodriguez, S. G. Louie, M. F. Crommie, and F. R. Fischer, “Topological Band Engineering of Graphene Nanoribbons,” Nature 560, 204–208 (2018). (* indicates equal contribution)
- T. Cao*, M. Wu*, and S. G. Louie, "Unifying Optical Selection Rules for Excitons in Two Dimensions: Band Topology and Winding Numbers," Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 087402 (2018).
- L. Ju, L. Wang, T. Cao, T. Taniguchi, K. Watanabe, S. G. Louie, F. Rana, J. Park, J. Hone, F. Wang, and P. L. McEuen, "Tunable Excitons in Bilayer Graphene," Science 358, 907-910 (2017).
- T. Cao, F. Zhao, and S. G. Louie, "Topological Phases in Graphene Nanoribbons: Junction States, Spin Centers, and Quantum Spin Chains," Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 076401 (2017).
- X.-X. Zhang, T. Cao, Z. Lu, Y.-C. Lin, F. Zhang, Y. Wang, Z. Li, J. C. Hone, J. A. Robinson, D. Smirnov, S. G. Louie, and T. F. Heinz, “Magnetic Brightening and Control of Dark Excitons in Monolayer WSe2,” Nature Nanotech. 12, 883–888 (2017).
- T. Cao, Z. Li, D. Y. Qiu, and S. G. Louie, “Gate Switchable Transport and Optical Anisotropy in 90° Twisted Bilayer Black Phosphorus,” Nano Lett. 16, 5542-5546 (2016).
- T. Cao, Z. Li, and S. G. Louie, "Tunable Magnetism and Half-Metailicity in Hole-Doped Monolayer GaSe," Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 236602 (2015).
- Y.-C. Chen, T. Cao, C. Chen, Z. Pedramrazi, D. Haberer, D. G. de Oteyza, F. R. Fischer, S. G. Louie and M. F. Crommie, "Molecular Bandgap Engineering of Bottom-up Synthesized Graphene Nanoribbon Heterojunctions," Nature Nanotech. 10, 156-160 (2015).
- Z. Ye*, T. Cao*, K. O'Brien, H. Y. Zhu, X. B. Yin, Y. Wang, S. G. Louie, and X. Zhang, "Probing Excitonic Dark States in Single-layer Tungsten Disulphide," Nature 513, 214-218 (2014).
- K. Liu*, L. Zhang*, T. Cao*, C. H. Jin, D. Y. Qiu, Q. Zhou, A. Zettl, P. D. Yang, S. G. Louie, and F. Wang, "Evolution of Interlayer Coupling in Twisted MoS2 Bilayers," Nature Commun. 5, 4966 (2014).
- T. Cao, G. Wang, W. Han, H. Ye, C. Zhu, J. Shi, Q. Niu, P. Tan, E. Wang, B. Liu, and J. Feng, “Valley-selective Circular Dichroism of Monolayer Molybdenum Disulphide”, Nature Commun. 3, 887 (2012).