- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2008
- B.S. in Applied Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, 2002
We are interested in understanding the optical, electronic, and quantum properties of novel solid state nanostructures by nanoscale device design, optical spectroscopy, electrical transport, and scanning photocurrent measurements.
Areas of interest include:
- Graphene Optoelectronics
- Topological Insulator Quantum Optoelectronics
- Graphene Cellular Interfaces
- Atomically Thin 2D Semiconductor
- Jason S. Ross*, Sanfeng Wu*, Hongyi Yu, Nirmal J. Ghimire, Aaron M. Jones, Grant Aivazian, Jiaqiang Yan, David G. Mandrus, Di Xiao, Wang Yao, X. Xu, "Electrical Control of Neutral and Charged Excitons in a Monolayer Semiconductor", Nature Communication, in press, preprint http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.0072
- S. Wu, J. Ross, G. Aivazian, A. Jones, Z. Fei, G. Liu, W. Zhu, D. Xiao, W. Yao, D. Cobden, X. Xu, "Electrical Tuning of Valley Magnetic Moment Through Symmetry Control in Bilayer MoS2", Nature Physics, in press, preprint http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.6069
- T. Ksirga, D. Sun, J. Park, J. Coy, Z. Fei, X. Xu, D. Cobden, " Photoresponse of a Strongly Correlated Material Determined by Scanning Photocurrent Microscopy " , Nature Nanotechnology 7, 723 (2012).
- D. Sun, G. Aivazian, A. M. Jones, J. Ross, W. Yao, D. Cobden, X. Xu, "Ultrafast Hot-Carrier Dominated Photocurrent in Graphene", Nature Nanotechnology 7, 114(2012).
- X. Xu* , W. Yao* , B. Sun* , D. G. Steel, A. S. Bracker, D. Gammon, L.J. Sham, “Optically Controlled Locking of the Nuclear Field via Dark State Spectroscopy”, Nature 459, 1105 (2009). This work is highlighted by more than ten websites, including eurekalert.org and physorg.com.
- X. Xu, B. Sun, P. Berman, D.G. Steel, A.S. Bracker, D. Gammon, L.J. Sham, “Coherent Population Trapping of an Electron Spin in a Single Negatively Charged Quantum Dot”, Nature Physics 4, 692 (2008). This work has been highlighted by Nature Physics 4, 678 (2008), U. Michigan News front page and more than ten websites.
- X. Xu, B. Sun, P. Berman, D. G. Steel, A. S. Bracker, D. Gammon, L. J. Sham et al., “Coherent Optical Spectroscopy of a Strongly Driven Quantum Dot”, Science 319, 929 (2007). This work has been highlighted by Nature Photonics 1, 506 (2007), U. Michigan physics department annual research review, and cited by research highlights of Nature Nanotechnology 2, 521 (2007).
Honors & awards
- Department of Energy Early Career Award, 2012
- NSF Early Career Award, 2012
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2011
- Kent M. Terwilliger Memorial Thesis Prize, University of Michigan 2009
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan 2008
- Physics Department Fellowship, University of Michigan 2002~2003
- Best Undergraduate Thesis Award, University of Science and Technology of China 2002
Xu and team discover a 2-D magnet
A team led by Xiaodong Xu, a UW professor in MSE, and researchers at MIT has for the first time discovered magnetism in...
New Molecular Engr. Materials Center
The new Molecular Engineering Materials Center's goal is to empower the next generation of science and engineering...
Xu's atomically thin magnetic device
In a breakthrough that may revolutionize cloud computing technologies and consumer electronics, a UW-led team used...