Shop Policies and Safety
- Shop Policies
- General shop safety and specific instrument safety operation training is required before accessing the shop or operating the machines. Both safety and operation training is arranged through CORAL.
- This shop is NOT an instructional shop. Users who have not had any previous machining experience will not be able to operate MSE shop equipment and should consider other shops. The Physics Student Shop offers classes every quarter. Physics Student Shop Contact: Jeremy Prickett, firstname.lastname@example.org
- After completing the training and signing a user agreement, users must demonstration the ability to operate the instrument safely.
- Instrument usage is on based a first-come, first-served basis. Instrument keys will need to be checked out from the Lab Team Lead via a Husky card.
- Some materials are available for undergraduate use. All other users must provide their own materials. Hazardous materials are not allowed.
- Band Saw
- For aluminum and soft plastic
- Low speeds: 50-300 FPM
- High speeds: 850-5200 FPM
- 30 1/2" throat
- Water Jet Cutter
- X-Y Cutting travel: 26” x 52” tank
- Z-Axis Travel: 8”
- 30 HP 60,000 PSI
- 0.030 inches mixing tube
- 80 HPX High-performance garnet abrasive
- (mixing tube and garnet may vary)
- Tilt-A-Jet: tilts cutting head 9 degrees to reduce taper
- Cuts almost everything
- All drawings must be sent to lab staff (preferable file format: DXF, DWG)
- No training required; lab staff will operate the machine for you
- Foot Shear
- Pexto Model 137 - L
- 36” x 16 gauge
- Blade length: 37”
- Manual back gauge: 28”
Do not cut materials over 1/16” think (0.062”) except for soft plastic. All laminates must be approved before cutting
10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday or by appointment
A safety orientation and specific instrument training are required for all machines, except for the Waterjet cutter, which will be operated by lab staff for you.
Note: This shop is NOT an instructional shop. Users who have not had any previous machining experience will not be able to operate MSE shop equipment and should consider other shops. The Physics Student Shop offers classes every quarter. For more information on the Physics Student Shop, contact Jeremy Prickett, email@example.com.