The MSE Instron is a 4505 universal test frame that has been upgraded to the 5500R. It is used for tension, compression, 3-point bend, 4-point bend and peel testing. The software for data acquisition and analysis is Bluehill 3. We have a 100 kN load cell and a 5 kN load cell and various fixtures.
- Accuracy of the Instron load cell is +/- 0.5% of the reading when reading is between 0.5% of full scale and full scale
- Tensile test specimen: dog-bone style round or flat. Round: 1/2 in. diameter; flat: 1 in. width
- Compression test specimen: can accommodate most samples
- Flexure test specimen: rectangular
- ASTM standards are strongly recommended
Open to all users with a UW-budget number. This instrument is not available for non-UW users expect on a case by case basis.
Mueller Hall Room 165
Training is in two sessions to be completed within one week of each other.
- Demonstration of the instrument; discussion of use policies, safety, and sample preparation
- Driver's test
A user unable to demonstrate competence in the test session may retake it in a third session.